Sunday, July 6, 2008

I am American Airman

It's hard sometimes to stay focused. I have to constantly remind myself, that despite all the pain and heartache I am going through that it is for a reason. I have a good understanding of why we are in Iraq, but that doesn't mean that I really want to be there. I think it's a selfless experiance. My biggest reason for volunteering for this assignment is to get that checkmark for my military experiance. How proud can another military member be if they have never deployed. Believe me when I say I am scared. I am nervous. I am not alone though. There are (first of all) how many American men and women serving in the middle east? Secondly, I thought I came over here without anyone to miss me. I have seen the support of my close and tight knit group of friends from Biloxi. I have seen the compassion from my brothers and sisters all over the world. I miss you all. Over this long weekend I have gotten to talk to most of you. There are a few I haven't been able to get a hold of but I have not forgotten.

I don't think I could do this mission if we were in another un-supportive community as such during the Vietnam War. There is one distinct occasion during my flight to Kansas that made me want to cry. I met a six year old boy with Autism. He is my hero, even when he said I was his. I'll never forget that moment. I only hope he could understand how much it meant to me. I was sitting at the gate waiting for my plane when he ran up to me, his mother just a few steps behind me. He looked at me with these sweet, dream-filled eyes. What came out of his mouth was enough to break any grown persons bearing. "May I hug you?"

1 comment:

Rebecca Stanton said...

You are a hero to a LOT of people, I promise! Stay safe and keep in touch! XOXOXO